My journey!

As I journey through time, here I present a small peak into what I think and experience!

Sunday, March 20, 2005

IIMC Interview experience

Venue: IIMB (K-block)
Date: 17 March 2005
Reporting time: 9.30am

Took an auto from MG Road and told him to go to IIM, Bannerghatta road. Soon, I realised that the auto driver did not know how to go there. Then started our journey of adventure. We kept on going asking auto-drivers on the way as to how we go. By the time we reached the intended place, I felt like I had travelled half of the Bangalore city. Luckily I reached at 9am, comfortably before time. Met a few known faces and so had a chat for awhile before the list of students and the panels was put up. Right at 9.25am, we were seated in the classroom and were explained the GD process. Proof that the IIMs are sticklers of time was that the GD started bang on 9.30am.

The topic was "Anytime anywhere access is everytime everywhere intrusion into privacy". We were a group of 10 and I was the 8th. It was a decent discussion with almost everyone getting a chance to speak. I spoke about how there are advantages as well as disadvantages of anytime access. Technologies like ATMs, Internet Banking are examples of how useful they are in our lives. At the same time though mobile phones and webcams are so useful, they can be misused as well. Points like unsolicited telephone calls, defence secrets, medical transcripts were raised. At the end of about 12min, the panel randomly asked everyone of us to summarise for a minute. I could not end my summary which I felt was otherwise a negative point in my GD performance.

The candidates were called in the order of their seating in the GD. Since I was the 8th, I had a long time to go. Whenever someone came out, we asked them how it went and realised soon that our panel (and in general other panels too) were very cool. They were asking very arbit questions. Few candidates had a 20-25min discussion on sole topics like "Why MBA", "Career goals", "Interests" while a few had about 10min discussion on their engineering basics and hobbies. Surprisingly none were asked any maths as happened in the previous year. Infact, IIMC is very famous in grilling students on Maths but this was a surprise change in their way. Actually this year, most of the IIMs have changed their way of conducting interviews. Very few have had stress interviews (I have heard only about 1 or 2 cases till now!!). Candidates have had very smooth and coochie-coo type of discussions with the panel. This has led to students coming out with a blank face not knowing if their interview has gone well or not. None know if they are IN or OUT.

Anyways, my (M) turn came at noon.
There were 2 interviewers (I1 and I2) in the panel.
Time in: 12.30pm

M: Good afternoon, Sirs
I1 and I2: Good afternoon!! (I felt like nobody had wished them till now. They were studying my form)
I1: Intelligroup?? Whats your work?
M: blah blah...
I1: How many in your team?
M: Currently I am working in a team of 50. And in my module, we are four people.
I1: ok, But mech then s/w?
M: Sir, I work on SAP which is an ERP. So its somewhat related to what I have studied in Mech.
I1: ok.
I1: BITS-Pilani! So what are your interests?
M: I mean is it in acads. Well, I like Workshop, Automotive Vehicles. And some courses in maths like Optimization, OR.
I1: have u worked in Workshop?
M: Yes sir, we have actually worked in a workshop. I have worked on a lathe, shaper and planar.
I1: hmm, so u have worked on a lathe.
M: Yes, we had a practical assignment in which we were supposed to make a candle stand and so we have worked on lathe. In casting, we have just made some moulds.
I1: So u have not cast anything.
M: No sir, we had some wooden patterns and so just made some moulds.
I1: Welding?
M: Yes sir, we have also worked on that.
I1: You had electrical subjects?
M: Yes sir, we had Electrical Sciences-1 and 2 in which we dealt with the basics. We did not go much in depth.
I1: Oh, so u have not done any electrical courses?
M: no sir.
I1: Electronics?
M: We have done basics like semi-conductors, doping etc.
I1 looks at I2 who reads a line in my essay in the form: "...create comfortable lives for the society..."??
I1: (smiling says something like yes yes, even i saw that)...
M: Yes sir, we can create value for the employees of the company, the shareholders, and the society. Thats what I have written further. Take the case of Infosys which has....blah blah...we have to contribute back to the society.
I2: ok.
I2: What is turbo-charging?
M: blah blah....(not a perfect answer).
I2: Examples where its used?
M: Racing cars....(give few more examples)...
I1: What all calls have u got?
M: I have calls from IIM A, B, C, K and NITIE.
I1: Not applied to XLRI or FMS?
M: No sir.
I1: Why NITIE?
M: Sir, I was interested in Operations. But I did not get a final call from NITIE. So now I have only the IIMs
I1: ok.
I2: What are your interests?
M: Travelling, listening to fusion music. As such I do not listen to any specific music. I listen to everything hindi songs, english songs, soft music etc. I usually do not get much free time from office (thats a fart!!). Whenever I get time, I watch tv and listen to music.
I2: You dont read?
M: Yes sir, I do. Infact, since 1.5yrs I have made a conscious attempt of developing a reading habit. I am a member of the British Library. So I read novels, books on stock market. I am interested in stocks. So I have read books on that. Whenever I get time in my office, as in when I dont have work, I go to the library and read The Financial Times and other papers.
I2: ok.
I2 to I1: anything more?
I1: Ok Rajesh, thats it. Thank You.
M: Thank You, sir....(I was like...what is this...end of interview...u have not asked me anything? but then did not say anything and came out)
Candidates waiting outside: Done, so fast?
I look at my watch....Time: 12.40pm

My interview went on for about 10min. No stress, no acads, infact nothing. Total timepass kind of interview. So no idea if I am IN or OUT. Next was a bitsian friend who came out laughing in 5min. He was asked about BITS and about his father and the Birla family feud. So either IIMC wants to take in all bitsians or they dont wanna risk taking them. Whatever it is, things will become clear in the second week of April when the results will be out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home